Introduction.

My name is Dilara Colakoglu, I'm Turkish and lived in Libya my whole entire life. I've decided to start this blog because its my last year here, -fingers crossed- so I'm just going be blogging about my supposedly ''new'' life in the ''new'' Libya for the next year or so. Hopefully, next year I'll be kicking it in University, somewhere in the world. I am still undecided, I can't seem to figure out what I want in life, so maybe by blogging I could maybe figure it out, I know sounds a bit odd, but what the heck, it's worth a try!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My life is lacking excitement...


Well, I think my last post was back in January and it's May now. Nothing exciting happened in that period, I guess my life is a bore.

I guess I'll try to highlight what I've done in the past few months.

February - The anniversary (Feb17)

Supposedly, we should be happy on this day because we've finally came out and told Gaddafi that we've had enough of his crap and we're no longer putting up with it. I didn't want to go out and celebrate really, just felt like staying home and watching everything on TV but my mother made me come out with her, my sister and her friends. We didn't do anything special. We went to Kish Square where we got harassed by annoying Libyans. So, we left and drove around town, I don't think I took any pictures because there was nothing worth taking  pictures of. Well, except for me  :D





When we got home, we lit a sky lantern and watch it fly away.



So a year later, has my life been any different?
No. If anything, I hate this place even more. I just can't stand being here anymore.
I can't even begin to describe why I hate this place. Honestly, I think that Libyans will never change, they always want things the easy way. They will never change the way they think and it disgusts me. I hate the fact that the Islamists are getting things done their way, sort of. For example, the little cafe down in Dubai street, Costa, was bombed because a lot of young adults/teenagers would go there to interact with their friends, male AND female, and that was an issue for them. Like, what now? they're going to deprive us of hanging out with our friends?  and it's not like we have many places to hang out here. So we don't want them to be blowing up shit. Not only are they blowing up public places, but they're barging into peoples homes, and shaving their heads for partying. Are you serious? We can't have a little bit of privacy?
In addition, they claim that they want to close down the wedding halls, because it's wrong to celebrate your wedding or something? I don't see why they should because the weddings here are not mixed, so it shouldn't  be an issue for them. They're really getting on my nerves and I hate driving around town and seeing those men with those ridiculously bushy long beards. I sometimes wish Gaddafi was still here, because they feared him. And they wouldn't come out and do the shit that they're doing today.

I know it takes years to rebuild a country, but I'm not one for being patient.

So, enough of that for now. I have a chance to leave this country for good, but I have to do well in my exams, which are starting next week. Hopefully, I'll do good. I got a conditional offer at the University of Central Lancashire, I hope I don't screw it up.

Spring Break started late March and we were off for three weeks. Didn't go anywhere and didn't do anything. Should have studied, but didn't.  I'm one hell of a procrastinator.

Also, during spring break I went to see a nutritionist. Why? Cause clearly I'm not eating the right things and I need to lose the extra pounds. So far it's been going good, some days I hate it, but I've lost 11kilos (24lbs) in 3 weeks. Which is good, I assume. I've been to a couple of nutritionists before and usually I quit going after about 2 weeks, but this time I'm not giving up. Wee!

April 20th, was my dear friend, Amro's birthday. We've been friends since 1st grade. 11 years of friendship and counting...




I made him a card :)


His girlfriend made him a cake, tasted heavenly.

The Birthday Boy himself!


Amro, Anas, Dah, Judy, Hesham, Lyn, Hashim, Seeko and myself.




School started on April 22 and we've only been preparing for our exams. My exams start on May 11 and end on May 29. I hope we all do well and good luck to everyone, xoxo








No comments:

Post a Comment